22 April 2012

Bad health news for bloggers (and you?)

From the Archives of Internal Medicine, via The Atlantic:
A study of more than 200,000 Australians adds to the growing body of evidence that people who sit the most die the soonest. It also found that you can't exercise this effect away, though exercise does help reduce it greatly...

Its most striking finding was that people who sat more than 11 hours a day had a 40% higher risk of dying in the next three years than people who sat less than four hours a day. This was after adjusting for factors such as age, weight, physical activity and general health status, all of which affect the death risk. It also found a clear dose-response effect: the more people sat, the higher their risk of death.

6 comments:

  1. Please, find a site with nice cheap coffins/urns now. I feel like dying and I want to be burried in style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate to mention this, but, well, we're all doomed. Ain't none of us getting out of here alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Says you! I'm going to cheat death by lying down in beds and baths. Between exercise and sitting, I have found the Third Way.

      Delete
    2. Anon,
      Sorry, but, all the evidence seems to support this view. So far.

      Delete
  3. Well I'm doomed. I do exercise but sporadically. And I like to eat unhealthy things and blog about them. It's not like I enjoy sitting all day but that is just the nature of my job. Maybe my boss should be paying me hazard pay? A treadmill desk certainly isn't going to get approved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For years, after slouching in front of the computer for hours reading interesting blogs and what not, I always felt half petrified on standing up. The cells in the legs, ass and back just can't breathe and digest like they need to. Remembering Rumsfeld bragging about using a standing desk,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_desk
    I elevated the computer about 20 inches and got rid of the chair. I never miss it, even when tired. You can change positions, put a knee up, leg up, whatever. Much better. Do it. DOOOO IT.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...