26 June 2020

This is an M-44 "cyanide bomb." Don't trigger it.

“The United States government put a cyanide bomb 350ft from my house, and killed my dog and poisoned my child,” said Theresa Mansfield, Canyon’s mother... 
M-44s, also known as “cyanide bombs”, are baited and spring-loaded tubes that spray an orange plume of cyanide powder when triggered. Aimed at coyotes and other canids that predate livestock, they killed 6,500 animals in 2018 alone... 
Public concern about Wildlife Services’ practices has been growing for years. According to a list of incidents compiled by the environmental group Predator Defense, roughly 40 domestic pets have been killed by M-44s across the country since 2000, and numerous humans have been exposed... 
“I do not like the idea that if I am wandering on public land or my children are wandering on it or my wife, that we can stumble across and be poisoned by an exploding cyanide device or that our dog might be killed,”...
More at The Guardian.

2 comments:

  1. This seems functionally very similar to a land mine. Who the hell approved this terrible idea? How is it any less dangerous than leaving poison meat laying around in the woods?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's more dangerous than poison meat. Meat doesn't generally explode.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...