11 June 2020

Cop issues warning to black man for driving 65 in a 70 mph zone



Literally warned for driving 65.  North Carolina.

TBH, I did not view the entire video; I skipped ahead in jumps until I got to the 3:45 mark, where the cop presents the driver with a warning "No court date, no fine.  You throw the paper away when you get home.  Nothing to worry about."  He then walks away, ignoring the driver's question "What was the warning for, sir?"

The driver then gets out of his car (bravely, I think) to approach the cop to repeat his question about what the warning was for.

The cop's reply is at 4:33.  "For driving under the speed limit, OK?  Wouldn't you consider it kind of suspicious to be driving under the speed limit?"

If you have friends who doubt that racial profiling occurs, share this video with them.

Discussion thread here.

Related story:  A white woman, racism, and a poodle.  (The problem went away after her black poodle died).  Hat tip to an unidentified reader.

4 comments:

  1. I've heard of people being stopped for driving too slow, creating a hazard on the freeway... but five miles under is not that much (and I assume most in a 70mph area are going closer to 75).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, several years ago I didn't have a drivers license (mostly from laziness and lack of money). But I continued to drive, just very carefully, mindful of all the traffic laws... always making sure my lights were in working order.
      I'd regularly drive just a tad under the speed limit. 65 in a 70 zone would be about right.
      Never got stopped once.
      But am I black? Nope.

      Delete
  2. I think you will find this an appropriate story to add to this thread:

    https://franklywrite.com/2020/06/01/a-white-woman-racism-and-a-poodle/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the speed *limit.* It's the maximum you should go. This assumes that you will be traveling *slower* than that speed. This driver was pulled over for FOLLOWING THE LAW.

    We're overdue to defund the police.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...