24 June 2020

A beautiful day to meet a Tawny Emperor


Blue skies and 70 degrees = mandatory walk-at-the-Arboretum day.


The lilacs were post-bloom, as were the fruit trees, but the shade trees were fully leafed out to show their magnificent form and colors, especially in the maple section.  The turkeys stayed socially-distanced from me.



When I got to the boardwalk over the wetland, I was greeted by a local resident who flew onto my pantleg...


The Tawny Emperor (and the very similar Hackberry Emperor) are well-known for their willingness to interact with humans, so when I saw it down there I moistened my fingertip with saliva, and he/she eagerly hopped on...


Butterflies live in an environment that has abundant potassium, but proportionally less available sodium, so saliva or sweat from humans is a real treat.  Before I left, she posed on the handrail of the boardwalk for this portrait (photo enlarges to gigantic with a click):


After reporting the sighting at the Wisconsin Butterflies website, I discovered that this butterfly is seldom seen so far away from the Mississippi River Valley western border of Wisconsin.

Addendum:  I returned to the Arboretum the next day to try to get a photo of the tops of the wings of this uncommon butterfly.  Temperatures had risen from the pleasant mid-70s to humid mid-80s, but it turns out that hot, sweaty days are the best for getting extreme closeups of human-friendly butterflies.  An hour and about 60 photos later, here are two extreme closeups of the Tawny Emperor (Asterocampo clyton).  Click the photos for fullscreen.


6 comments:

  1. You are the "Butterfly Whisperer."

    ReplyDelete
  2. in the hierarchy of butterflies (monarchs, viceroys, admirals, ladies, etc.), where does this one fall in?

    I-)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful photos and fascinating butterfly story from wetlands boardwalk! I'm amazed how they can interact so closely with humans.

      Delete
  3. beautiful addendum! and thanks for the tip on visitation hours and protocols.

    I-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. a bit of a topic drift - about finding caterpillars in store produce, and keeping them. https://twitter.com/samd_official/status/1271093419268624385

    makes you wonder what they are?

    I-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very few butterfly larvae are serious pests for farm produce, but Cabbage Whites are one of them -

      https://wisconsinbutterflies.org/butterfly/species/12-cabbage-white

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...