07 July 2012

"Vegivore" defined

It's not the same as vegetarian or vegan:
Enter the Vegivore. The term, coined 18 months ago by New York magazine, describes a new kind of eating, and one that you may well already enjoy. Unlike vegetarians and vegans... the Vegivore does not restrict his or her diet. Vegivores don’t hate meat – far from it – they just love vegetables. You’re a Vegivore if you like the roast potatoes, buttered carrots and Yorkshire pudding as much as the beef.
(It's spelled both as "vegivore and vegievore" at the link.  But apparently not "veggievore.")

5 comments:

  1. In that case, I'm definitely a Vegivore when it comes to Pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose I'm a vegivore, especially this time of year. No potatoes, but fresh garden vegetables from the backyard! We've already had tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers. Today I pick the first beans. Tonight's dinner revolves around beans simmered in salt pork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shouldn't it be 'vegiphile' then? This reminds me of a similar debate I had while trying to contribute a limerick on the word 'alliophage' (garlic-eater) to the Omnifiscent English Dictionary in Limerick Form (OEDILF). In the end I had to change the word to 'alliophile', meaning 'garlic-lover', as my limerick implied a preference for garlic, not just the mere consumption thereof. Sounds like this is a similar case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son, who is unfailingly accurate, tells me that you get all the health benefits of vegetarianism if you don't exceed 100 grams of meat per day. He didn't specify whether that meant "skinless chicken breast," however. I prefer drumsticks boiled with my ragu.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My partner and I term ourselves "90% vegetarian." We eat vegetarian most of the time, but on occasion we have meat if we crave it and it's responsibly or sustainably raised. When we do buy fruits and vegetables, we try to eat as local/organic as we can. So while I guess "vegivore" kinda describes what we do, I propose "sustainabvore" or an equivalent! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...