16 May 2010

(Not a) stilt bug - this is a baby assassin bug

We found this little fellow on the viburnum in our woods this week.  I've not encountered one before, and after some searching I decided he was probably a "stilt bug."

He's hard to photograph, in part because of his diminuitive size, but also because he/she is semi-transparent.  I'm not sure what to feed him, because the things I've read say they sometimes eat plant material, sometimes are predators.

I'm open to any corrections or suggestions...

Correction:  A hat tip to Darren and to steve - both of whom suggested that this is a nymph of an assassin bug, not a stilt bug.  After checking various sites on the web, I totally agree.   I've kept him in custody for a few days pending identification (he didn't have any papers to show me), but now it's time to release him back into the world.

6 comments:

  1. Feed him? Did you remove him from the woods and put him in some kind of container? You wouldn't do that, would you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps it is a nymph of Zelus luridus, the Assasin Bug. I suggest it may not be a stilt bug because it does not have clubbed antennae. Looking in my "Field Guide to Insects and Spiders of North America" it mentions distinctive red eyes for the assasin bug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pretty sure that this is the nymph of some kind of assassin bug...it also may be capable of biting but I've never been bitten by one.

    If you check the page below you'll find a few pretty similar looking bugs.

    http://bugguide.net/index.php?q=search&keys=assassin+bug+nymph&search=Search

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you guys are right. I've changed the post title and will update the post after I do some more reading.

    Thank you!!

    stan

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenbegin/3911437484/in/set-72157617432924910/

    I knew I had a picture of one of these guys somewhere. There's some interesting detail if you view it in original size.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, did you take this bug from its habitat where it can't mate or choose its own food or are you expecting to find it again in order to feed it?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...