08 January 2010

Why is farfalle called "bow-tie" pasta, rather than "butterfly" pasta?


Farfalla* is the Italian word for butterfly, and the shape is exquisitely butterfly-like.  I would bet there are more English-speaking people who are familiar with butterflies than with bow ties.  The pasta dates from the 1500s in Lombardia, Italy (about a century before the Croatians invented the bow tie).

* - the "e" at the end of the pasta word is feminine plural, so it would translate as "butterflies." 

Photo credit.

7 comments:

  1. I wouldn't eat butterfly pasta anymore than I would eat butterfly soup or a butterfly sandwhich. They should be called flutterbys anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you mean "plural". I don't think the pasta is related to the lungs in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In many languages, the word for "bow tie" and the word for "butterfly" is the same. Papiyon- at least, this is the pronunciation, but probably not the spelling. Remember that film with Dustin Hoffman and Steve McQueen? So perhaps it was a poor choice by a translator?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I call them butterflies, but then, my family is Italian...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "And I think the American people want a president who's not afraid to say, 'I am who I ammm.. butterflieeea and all.'...So that's why I wearrr.. the butterflieees."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bow ties are called butterfly ties (or just butterflies) in other languages.
    Papillon springs to mind.

    So this pasta could well be called butterfly-tie pasta, and we wouldn't know it.

    The pasta does look more like the tie than the insect butterfly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...