31 May 2011

Female Egyptian protestors forced to have "virginity checks"

Via CNN and other sources today, the revolting news that a senior Egyptian general admits so-called "virginity checks" (presumably, forcible examination of the hymen) were performed on women arrested in at least one demonstration this spring. Previously, military authorities denied it. Now, an Egyptian general who asked not to be identified defends the practice—wait for it—as a protective measure for the women's own good...

The general said the virginity checks were done so that the women wouldn't later claim they had been raped by Egyptian authorities.
"We didn't want them to say we had sexually assaulted or raped them, so we wanted to prove that they weren't virgins in the first place," the general said. "None of them were (virgins)."
...and if you're not a virgin, it's not rape, anyway. But more to the point: these so-called "virginity checks" are nothing less than a form of rape.

And a personal observation? My god, but these women out at the protests in Egypt, knowing that these are the sort of barbaric risks they face, are strong, strong human beings.
Text source BoingBoing. Photo credit: REUTERS/Goran Tomasevic

6 comments:

  1. I am humbled by the strength and courage of these women who know what they face and do what they deem must be done anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought the TSA searches were invasive.

    I admit, I don't think I'd be strong enough to do that. I wish the women all the best, and I wish the men testicular cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rape is rape is rape- it doesn't matter if the woman is a virgin or not.
    That being said, I'm with Mel on this one. Except ebola along with the testicular cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't make this dreadful invasion of privacy any better, but I'm 99% sure that the "virginity checks" are done by female police, not dudes.

    Too bad they can't get testicular cancer. You'll have to wish some other ill upon them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and I am afraid to attend protests for fear that my face will end up in the paper and ruin my privacy...
    Guess that means I still have too much to lose, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. All this is so mind numbing. And it requires extreme faith in yourself and the One Above to go through this menace with the will that these women posses. Praying that times change with more Light for the world.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...