30 January 2013

Catching a monster wave in Portugal

The veteran surfer Garrett McNamara looks likely to have broken the world record for the highest wave ever ridden. He caught the wave off the coast of Nazaré in Portugal on Monday (January 28). It was reportedly 100ft high (30.48m), although that is subject to verification.  Picture: REUTERS
From a gallery of fifteen photos on the subject at The Telegraph, where it is noted that
"The area of Portuguese coast is known for the enormous swells, with underwater canyon running right up to the shoreline cliffs, amplifying the waves that are created. The swells along the Praia do Norte are now known as creating some of the biggest surf in the world."
Addendum:  And here's the video (hat tip to reader txticulos):

6 comments:

  1. Here's a video of it
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200374674437718

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the heads-up, txticulos. That led me to the YouTube version (which is easier for me to embed). I've added the video as an addendum to the post.

      Delete
  2. But the video is from Nov 2011 ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the caption of another photo in the same set:

      "If the record is confirmed, he will beat his own world record of 23.77 metres, which he registered in 2011, and was recognised by Guinness World Records last year. He achieved that record in the same location after being towed into the wave by a jet ski."

      Delete
  3. I had always thought the height of a wave was measured relative to sea level / the back of the wave...
    Having now Googled it, I have learned that it is the difference between the crest and the trough laid out before it, when measured vertically - which doubles the number.
    Sadly, I only now realize this 20+ years too late: that many of my surf stories matched up to some of the braggarts of my day and my belief that they were 'better' or more brave than me was unfounded ~ I too could have been boasting impressive numbers to the doe eyed, bronze bodied, slightly tipsy, fan girls.
    Ah, well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct on both counts I think. Surfers have generally referred to the height of the wave as measured from the back, at least in the surf stories of lore. I think the technical Guinness measurement must be the opposite, which makes more sense logically I suppose..I mean he is on a 100' face.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...