25 January 2013

"Rabbie"


            Queen Elizabeth was visiting sick children in a Scottish hospital, and after performing her planned duties, she wandered off to other parts of the hospital.  Walking into an unidentified ward, she went up to a patient in bed and asked him how he was doing.  He replied:

"O, my luve is like a red, red rose,
That's newly sprung in June.
O, my luve is like the melodie,
That's sweetly played in tune....."

Finding the response somewhat inappropriate she wished him good day and moved down the ward to a room where another man was sitting quietly.  In response to her inquiry, he began singing:

"Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to min' ?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And days o' lang syne ?"

            Somewhat baffled by this sequence of events she found a third room, where her greeting was met with:

"Wee, sleekit, cowrin', tim'rous beastie,
O, what a panic's in thy breastie ...."

            She gave up, and left the ward.  On her way out, she encountered the head nurse.  "Is this the psychiatric ward?" she asked.

            "No, your majesty," the nurse replied.  "It's......the Burns unit."



Today marks the 254th birthday of Robert Burns.

3 comments:

  1. Groan. I've just had an embarrasing fit of chortling at a public terminal.
    (And I should have seen that one coming...)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that my teachings have finally come to fruition. It makes me proud to know that my endless barrage of puns was not ignored.
    Of course leads me to observe that this is the final pun-up-pance!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...