28 December 2020

Bruce and Carol's bookcase with Emmys

"We moved from Southern California to Vancouver, WA a few years ago and trimmed our belongings mightily-- distilling by donation a couple of thousand books down to the easily re-readable few. This primary case has hardback Terry Pratchetts on the top row and halfway along the second, then a mix of Christopher Moore, Eric Sloane, Twain, political, religious, history, bio and autobigraphical books, computer graphics, dog guides and a few strays. We are serious readers but not always serious stuff.
Maybe weirdly, it was the Pratchett books I was concentrating on in the photo. A dear friend hooked me on the series years ago and we've shared Discworld anecdotes, enjoyed his signings, and then feasts featuring potatoes afterwards. So those books have become a vital refuge from the almost inescapable now. And then, I didn't want to slight the other books, and that opened the framing down to include the rows below."
Blogger's note:  After scanning the rows of books, my eyes were drawn to the top of the photo, where sharp-eyed readers may note on the bookcase the bases of some trophies.  I emailed Bruce back to inquire whether they would be of interest to TYWKIWDBI readers.  The answer startled me...
The bases on top of the bookcase are seven Emmy Awards that Carol and I received for our work as title designers (Cheers, As the World Turns, The X Files, Caroline in the City). With a partner, we designed and produced openings and graphics for over 300 tv series, pilots, specials and a few theatrical features.

 In that little corner of the industry we were able to create and pitch ideas (live action, animation, clip cuts, a mix), then produce sequences, direct, shoot, edit, animate, design logos, and work with terrific people. When we started in the late seventies everything was on film and transferred to tape and when we eased out of the business a few years ago, the last projects were pure computer graphics generated on home computers (at home) with the files laid off to digital media, not a camera in sight.

Since moving to Vancouver, WA we've only done a couple of pieces for the Portland PBS station and a pilot out of LA. This is our web site.

So that's us professionally.

10 comments:

  1. My guess is fish. It looks like tailfins....
    But no. I have to commend Bruce and Carol for their modesty. I'd have sure worked one of those into the image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed that no fewer than three people in this series own a copy of the limited edition Once More With Footnotes -- the sure sign of a committed Pratchett fan. It's also intriguing that most of your Pratchett books are on the top shelf, in contrast to mine which live near the bottom of my bookcase (as posted on 27 September).

    I don't think there are any non-Pratchett books I recognise. I use Indesign at work (CS6) but have never seen a manual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recognized those trophies right away. A friend of mine's dad was a television sports announcer, and he won 12 or 13 of them. When I visited her mom's house last year, I got to see 9 of them. Of course, I touched them all - it's the closest I'll ever get to an Emmy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. title design can make or break a show - it is that hook that grabs the viewer and keeps them there for the half or whole hour.

    I-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just a follow up to title and opening sequence designers.

      I-)

      http://www.openculture.com/2018/12/the-revolutionary-title-sequences-trailers-created-by-pablo-ferro.html The Revolutionary Title Sequences and Trailers Created by Pablo Ferro: Dr. Strangelove, A Clockwork Orange, Stop Making Sense, Bullitt & Other Films

      https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/21/obituaries/pablo-ferro-dead.html Pablo Ferro, Who Energized Films’ Opening Credits, Dies at 83

      Delete
    2. Interesting to note that there is no corresponding Oscar for title design in motion pictures. Saul Bass would have been the Meryl Streep of title design nominations had there been one....

      Delete
  5. I rarely actually read these bookshelf pieces but the Terry Pratchett books caught my eye. Looks very much like my bookshelf except mine take the second and part of the third shelf so they're easy to get to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 10 or 12 years ago I managed to secure two tickets to a Terry Pratchett reading which I gave to my 15 y.o daughter who was/is a serious groupie for Him and All His Works. In her most "let's take this seriously" vein, she baked some cookies and packed them up in a personalised Discworld box before going to the gig with one of her pals. There was to be a reception afterwards in the magnificent Long Room of the TCD Library, but daughter was anxious lest they exclude her as being a) too young b) not a student c) not a Protestant. Her anxiety turned to panic as, at the end of his talk, everyone stood and the guest was processed down the aisle to the door at the back of the auditorium. Accordingly she stood up and teetered along the chairs behind a row of aisle-blockers to plunge to the tiles as he passed crying "Terry, I baked you cookies!" He was both disconcerted and gracious and said "That deserves a kiss", at which he placed a chaste buss on the daughter's cheek.
    She was allowed into the reception afterwards and even succeeded in getting her copy of "Good Omens" signed by The Great Man. It was indeed a teenager's night to remember. Within a few months, Neil Gaiman was in Dublin at a book-signing and she got the co-author to counter-sign the title page. Now that Pratchett is no longer signing anything, that book will acquire a little monetary value but it's not for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom Scott on The Greatest Title Sequence I've Ever Seen:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUF4afxMpQk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why is "Once More..." so expensive?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...