13 February 2010

Lula Carson Smith's birthday present

She was born Lula Carson Smith in Columbus, Georgia in 1917 of middle class parentage. Her mother was the granddaughter of a plantation owner and Confederate War hero. Her father... was a watchmaker, and a jeweler of French Huguenot extraction. From the age of ten she took piano lessons, and at the age of 15 she received a typewriter from her father.
This young lady went on to become a famous American writer.  I can imagine her pleasure at the gift, because I received a portable electric typewriter as a high-school graduation present from my parents.

Photo found at Uncertain Times.

1 comment:

  1. This one was of particular interest to me, given my surname is "Hugenot".

    I learned to type on an old clackity-clack typewriter from 50s. I have great memories of that old thing.

    I bought at an estate sale a small portable typewriter that was carried into war by reporters. It was very cool, but I didn't have the time or inclination to try and repair it and get working tape for it. So I sold it to a guy who bought it for his grandkids.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...