29 September 2011

How to grow immense pumpkins

Excerpts from an article at the Telegraph:
The groundwork for a big pumpkin starts in February with a planting hole lavished with a minimum of one ton of well-rotted horse manure and the sourcing of “thoroughbred” seed from the internet. The best seed will cost from £5-£50 a pop...

As the plant grows, remove all but one pumpkin fruit so all the energy gathered by the leaves is focused on the development of one super-fruit....

When your chosen pumpkin reaches the size of a football, set the fruit on a 4in bed of straw to protect the skin from stones in the soil and spread the pumpkin’s weight as it swells...

Water is by far the most important influence on a potential prize-winner, accounting for a fluctuating 90 per cent of the weight. During dry weather, the leaves draw moisture out from the fruit to keep growing, which reduces the size of the pumpkin...

Early in the year, nitrogen-rich pelleted chicken manure is good for encouraging fast, leafy growth but when the days shorten, it’s time to switch to high-potash feeds to help fruit development. I use liquid tomato fertiliser – a can every other day...

Shade the skin with a screen during the day and keep it warm at night – it’s after dark that a pumpkin grows fastest. A polytunnel over the top is ideal, but if this is too high a price for pumpkin glory, second best are large, water-filled bottles placed around the fruit. These capture the warmth of the sun during the day and release it at night...

2 comments:

  1. I've started growing pumpkins in July, and they are already blooming, though I darsay I don't think any of the blooms have been pollenated. It's my first try at them (being the standard "Jack'o'Latern" variety) and I have to say I'm pretty impressed by it. I haven't grown any vegetable since Kidengarden when I had the space and time to do gardening.

    Next year, I'm planning on doing Big Max and Sugar Pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I asked for some seeds from a prize-winning pumpkin grower ~ he gave me some seeds and shared some secrets. The best one: start a compost pile in the fall ~ In early spring, plant 1-2 of the special seeds, but, leave only the strongest vine to grow.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...