12:42 - park car
- walk into Community Center
- give my name to ladies at the table, receive a number
- take the number to the lady at the next table, receive ballot
- enter booth, mark ballot
- inset ballot into Marksense optical scanner, wait for beep
- take "I voted" sticker, walk out of polling place
Five minutes to complete my civic duty. Can't complain about that. There are many arguments for revising/updating/computerizing the voting system in this country - all of which are well beyond the scope of this post - but shortening the time required to vote is not in my view a pressing need (even granting that this was just a primary).
If I could make one change, it would be to make the November presidential election a national holiday, so that more people could vote. To placate the business owners who want employees in the workplace, I would compensate by deleting the February President'sDayLet'sGoShopping holiday and tell people to honor their presidents by voting instead.