10 September 2010

Tooth transplantation... in the 18th century



I didn't know it had been done back then.  Apparently healthy teeth were purchased from impoverished people in Britain and transplanted into the jaws of the wealthy.

Addendum:  Reader Caitlin Rhodes remembered this passage from Les Miserables:
 ... you girl there, who are laughing; if you want to sell me your palettes, I will give you a gold napoleon apiece for them." "What are my palettes?" asked Fantine. "The palettes," replied the dental professor, "are the front teeth, the two upper ones.

“How horrible!” exclaimed Fantine. “Two napoleons!” grumbled a toothless old woman who was present.  Here's a lucky girl ! "

Fantine fled and stopped her ears that she might not hear the hoarse voice of the man shouting to her : " Reflect, my beauty ! two napoleons... 

5 comments:

  1. I'm curious... are teeth donated like organs in the deceased? I've never heard of transplanting living teeth...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy, my understanding is that the 18th century tooth transplants were eventually rejected by the immune system, but lasted a while because of their structure.

    Nowadays, I think the only tooth transplants are in a given person from one area of the mouth to another for cosmetic reasons.

    But I'm not saying that with any confidence. And too lazy to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the topic comes up in Le Miserables. Having nothing else to sell to pay for the care of her daughter, a now desperate prostitute Fantine gives up all her teeth to buy her daughter some more time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caitlin! I hadn't read the book, but a quick search this morning confirmed your memory. I've inserted an addendum in the post. :.)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...