22 September 2009

Adding another ball to the juggling routine

It was one year ago today that I wrote a post describing Neatorama as a "highly recommended blog." Then in January of this year I reported that Neatorama had a new feature called the Upcoming Queue where anyone could post interesting material for possible inclusion in their blog. During the summer I began writing a number of items for the Queue that were subsequently published in the blog.

You can imagine my surprise (and delight) when an email arrived this past week inviting me to join Neatorama as an author. I pondered the pros and cons for at least several milliseconds before agreeing to accept the position - joining the eight other authors who generate the amazing material at the site.

I mention this now because there will of necessity be some secondary impacts upon TYWKIWDBI. When I was submitting material via their Upcoming Queue, I typically also blogged the item here, but now as a Neatorama author I can't in good conscience justify double-posting, so from now on I'll just post links here to direct those interested to the relevant material. The items I've posted so far this week include how to create Chinese marbled eggs, how aliens replied to the Arecibo message using crop circles, and some outrageously outre hairstyles.

Not posting such items at TYWKIWDBI will not be a problem, because there is such a huge world of material available for accumulator blogs like this one. The larger and more practical problem is the time commitment required. I can't add more hours to my blogging day (and night) without seriously infringing on other activities, so I will undoubtedly have to spend a little less time here as I work on the somewhat more polished material for Neatorama.

We'll see how it works out. I view life as a continuing adventure, and I do like to explore new areas. I'm confident that the quality of TYWKIWDBI won't be noticeably compromised.

26 comments:

  1. Congrats on being invited to the big time. I love Neatorama, but not nearly as much as this blog. I will be very sorry to see you take time away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No don't go. It' will suck the vitality out of this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations.
    You gotta run with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is great. I think it's nice writing for Neatorama, but I don't think you should take time away from this wonderful blog. You should spend not more than 15 min every day blogs that aren't TYWKIWDBI

    Just my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, Stan. I hope writing for Neatorama is a good experience for you although I think you're placing unnecessary limitations on yourself. I don't see anything intellectually dishonest or unethical about the practice of cross-posting.

    The cross-links send readers to the other site, some who have never checked it out before. You're basically saying that you endorse their other content by cross-posting, linking and sending traffic their way.

    Just think about it, and good luck either way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats. But I wish you wouldn't. Your blog has a very unique point of view, which will get lost among the silly posts and advertising on Neatorama.

    The more authors Neatorama adds the less interesting it becomes.

    Please continue to focus on your original blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Neatorama. However, I have your blog bookmarked, not theirs. You have wonderful style and perspective and I will take whatever you have time for. Thank you for all the blogging thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I second what Kirsten said.

    I'm not sure why you would take your original style and add it to the bland link dump that Neatorama has become.

    I hope that you're at least being compensated for your time and effort with something more than "link love".

    TYWKIWDBI is by far one of the best blogs I've come across in the last two years. I hope your unique perspective and range of interests doesn't get lost in a sea of authors that they have on that bloated, passionless pit of hyperlinks that masquerades as a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's no compensation, and I don't believe it will have as much of an adverse influence on this blog as people fear. Wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I join the others here in lamenting this development, purely for selfish reasons of course. I also have this blog bookmarked, not Neatorama, because you supply more than cool stuff. You challenge pre conceived notions, beliefs, and are much more intellectually stimulating that 99% of the web. Thanks for all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll shut up after this but Neatorama sells enough ads that there should be compensation if you're adding to that site's wealth.

    I'll keep reading TYWKIWDBI because I enjoy your blog immensely. Just wanted to put my support for this blog over any blog who uses the word "neat" in the title.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! Yours is one of the few blogs I look forward to reading every day. Being tied in with Neatorama is doubly incredible, but I also agree with those ahead of me--TYWKIWDBI has a unique flavor all it's own and although I do enjoy both, yours is definitely the unique of the two--you create valuable content, while they for the most part collect and repeat that of others.

    Stay original. And circulate dollar coins.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adding my voice to those saying congratulations. And yes, I too have you bookmarked and not Neatorama.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read both your blog and neatorama all the time and I have to say the marriage of your unique style and their platform sounds fantastic. Congratulations and all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! Neatorama is lucky to have you. In fact, I only found them by hearing about them from YOU on TYWKIWDBI. They owe you--make sure they treat you right!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your stupid not to get paid. That's what I think. Not criticizing you exactly, I like your blog, but you should get paid if your going to work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. To the last anonymous -

    I clear brush and invasive plants at the local Arboretum on a volunteer basis. I expended many hours for a local hobby club for free. I've partipated in several archaeology digs for the Forestry Service without pay. And if the Minnesota Vikings asked me to assist with offensive play selection during a game, I'd be happy to do so gratis. There are some life experiences that don't require monetary compensation.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been reading your writing for more than 40 years. I applaud the recognition you receive (and deserve) and wish you well in whatever direction your Muse takes you.
    Bravo !

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm lucky to have you write for the blog, Minnesotastan. I'm sure you'd add a unique perspective, not to mention a much needed class to Neatorama :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Maybe neatorama will improve and this blog will stay good as ever.
    I don't read neato, but I guess I will now if you're going to be over there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. DONT B A MORAN NEATRAMA CAN KEEP GOING WITHOUT U. WE LUV U HERE :-)

    PLZ PLUS U DONT HAE COMMERCIALS FOR JOHNS TOILET BOOKS

    ReplyDelete
  22. THAT ABOUT IT OVERNITE, U SHOULD STILL STAY FOR HEAVENS GATEe

    ReplyDelete
  23. ?????? I think your medication is wearing off...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations, Stan! Your blog and Neatorama (and Boing Boing) are my faves. I am confident both will remain fascinating. There is already so much overlap on neat aggregate sites like yours, your move is almost efficient for us blogaphiles. Cheers, Chris.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...