1. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
3. The Dark Knight
4. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
5. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
6. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
7. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
8. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
9. Shrek 2
10. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
11. Spider-Man 3
12. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
13. Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
14. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
15. Finding Nemo
16. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
17. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
19. Shrek the Third
20. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
But what is most interesting to me is the comment at Kottke:
Only one movie on the list was made from an original screenplay: Finding Nemo...the rest are all sequels or adapted from books, TV shows, amusement park rides, etc.I'm not sure what implications that carries, but I find it somewhat disquieting.
Addendum: On this subject matter, see this enjoyable essay by Phillip Graham.
Just wait until the movie comes out with the detective Nick Relief . . .ReplyDelete
Well written! I've added the link to the post.ReplyDelete
Finding Nemo is actually based on Homer's "The Odyssey".ReplyDelete
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!ReplyDelete
I used to worry about getting to the movie theater on time; now, on those occasions when I do go to the movies, I make sure I'm late, in order to avoid watching the noisy trailers for movies I know I'll never, ever see.
"Coming Attractions"? I see them as warning labels.
I don't think the fact that the top-grossing movies are not based on original premises is as bad as it might seem at first.ReplyDelete
I don't mind watching unoriginal movies that are engaging, entertaining, and well made.
Just because a movie is not original does not mean it is uncreative or that the story is of a lower quality.
Look at the list.
The Dark Knight - based on comic books, but if you think about it all comic books are essentially sequels. It was an excellent movie that helped to revive a franchise that had been destroyed with past attempts. Has one of the greatest pieces of character acting ever, and is going to have a huge impact on future movie-making, with the groundbreaking use of IMAX.
The Lord of the Rings - Did a great job of putting into flim stories that people have been wanting to see for a long, long time, with superb cinematography and amazing technical achievements.
Pirates - based on only a ride. So essentially the base concept is unoriginal but the story but the story had to be written from scratch.
Harry Potter - hard to knock making these movies. Based on recent novels that were an unprecedented phenomenon that many, many people couldn't wait to see made into movies.
I also found it interesting that (unless I missed something) Finding Nemo is the only one on the list that is not part of a series of movies.ReplyDelete