21 August 2009

An entire lake, with its barges, is sucked into a sinkhole


An old story, from 1980, when an oil drilling rig punctured an underground salt mine and an entire lake and its contents and much of the shoreline was sucked down into the resulting sinkhole. About 10 minutes, and quite interesting.

I liked this comment at the Reddit thread: "The geologists of some future civilization are going to have a really hard time explaining how two 20th century barges exist in prehistoric rock strata."

2 comments:

  1. That's the year I graduated from high school! I am amazed that I never heard about this incredible disaster before. Thanks for ferreting it out! I stumbled on another interesting engineering disaster video on the YouTube site off of this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAHmaEs5cYU

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...