08 August 2009

17th-century strip map, London to Land's End


The Road From LONDON to the LANDS END Comencing at the Standard in Cornhill and Extending to Senan in Cornwall.
The strips take in places such as Hounslow, Stanes, Egham, Windsor Park, Bagshot Park, Basingstoke, Wotton, Whitchurch and Andover. The rivers and hills encountered are noted, as are the forks in the road, and the directions in which these lead. Andover, the last town on this map, is in Hampshire, and is still a long way away from Land’s End, the end point of this road map; indicating that this page is still a few scrolls short of being a complete map.
Found at Strange Maps.

5 comments:

  1. Cool. I keep forgetting that Strange Maps is only bookmarked in my other browser...

    For some really nice strip maps, the Japanese tourist maps of the Tokaido highway from the 1600s are pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only times I usually see maps like that these days are trail maps of popular non-loop trails like the Appalachian Trail or the Alpine Pass Route in the Alps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe AAA members can still obtain a "TripTik", which is a type of linear map.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a copy of Ogilby's Road-Book, of 1675, it's not in the original binding, but otherwise is in good condition. A fascinating bonus for me, is the fact that it describes roads and places close to where I live.
    I've learned bits of local history from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a copy of Ogilby's Road-Book, of 1675, it's not in the original binding, but otherwise is in good condition. A fascinating bonus for me, is the fact that it describes roads and places close to where I live.
    I've learned bits of local history from it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...