01 December 2008

Bees on the barbeque





These are four of a larger number of photos which were emailed to me, so I don't know their original source; they seem to have been posted on a number of websites without attribution or credit. The brand of the bug bomb used indicates that the incident happened in Australia.

The story is self-evident - a barbecue stored on a patio, bees seen coming and going from underneath the cover, dispersed with a bug bomb. When the cover is pulled back, the combs are revealed.

It's an impressive sight. On several of the webpages where the pix are posted, discussion threads include some ranting about the killing of the swarm. Others point out that there is no Colony Collapse Disorder or shortage of bees in western Australia.

What I did learn, however (and the reason I'm posting this is to spread the info) is that to get rid of honeybees, it is not necessary to go to the expense of hiring a "Critter Gitter" in the Yellow Pages. Instead, you may be able to contact a local apiarist. Depending on circumstances, the apiarist may remove the hive for free or even pay you a small amount for the privilege of doing so.

3 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I'm a bee keeper and inspector for two counties in Ohio. Looks like a swarm moved in and took up residence under your grill. You can contact your local county Apairy inspector, or local bee group, or try to find out who the closest bee keepers are. Put out an empty hive (with frames, foundation and best-- honey comb) for upcoming swarms to use--you can make $200.00 per hived colony--instead of killing them, (best to get inspected before transfer). The queen was most definitely killed in the chemical onslaught. She won't just fly away, but go down with the ship with the others. Looked like a strong, healthy and productive colony--out in the open like that, a bee keeper can remove without killing bees, and hive the comb for them to continue living. Keep a few bee keepers in your address book for when other swarms look to you for housing again. Happy bbquing!! LCW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I'm not freaked out by bees, so I wouldn't want a hive underneath my dads bbq grill. I think even he would freak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have any place to add a link for my website, www.islandnet.com/~wsatchell
    I am a beginner beekeeper who believes this was a very sad day for the honey bee world. I would like to offer my services to pick up any swarms of bees in southern vancouver island, British Columbia Canada

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...