10 September 2017

Best summary of Hurricane Irma status

 

I don't know who this guy is, but he's good.  This is not an official NWS presentation; he appears to be a well-informed enthusiast on tropical weather.  His presentation is fast and concise.

That's in contrast to the national news media reporters who have to stand out in the wind and "fill airtime" with repetitive and worthless drivel.  I was pleased to see a Hurricane Harvey victim talk back to a CNN reporter:
“Yeah, that’s a lot of shit. But y’all sitting here, y’all trying to interview people during their worst times. Like, that’s not the smartest thing to do.” (“Sorry,” began Flores.) “Like, people are really breaking down, and y’all sitting here with cameras and microphones trying to ask us, ‘What the fuck is wrong with us?’ (“I’m so sorry. . . . ”) And you’re really trying to understand with the microphone still in my face. When she’s shivering cold and my kid’s wet and you still putting a microphone in my face!”
Then a day or two ago a CBS reporter on the nationally-broadcast evening news covering Hurricane Irma in the Florida Keys asked a fisherman - and I quote -
"What would it do to your bottom line if you lost your boats?"
What would it do to "your bottom line" if you didn't have boats??? She asked this question of a commercial fisherman, for fox ache.

I've given up on television coverage.  I found the above video in this tropical weather live thread.

And here is the Tropical Tidbits blog by Levi, who produced the video summary I embedded above. 

Addendum:  If you have family or friends on the Florida coast (or other coastline anywhere in the world apparently), you can look up their height above sea level by plugging their address into ElevationMap.

7 comments:

  1. I would love to see such a weather reporter blown away during his/her presentation. That would be one for YouTube!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was pretty good.
      https://bunkstrutts.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/windy-weather.gif?w=450

      Delete
    2. That one appeared on a comedy show. There was a live news broadcast years ago with a reporterette sitting in a canoe talking about local flooding, while two guys in galoshes waded through a couple inches of shallow water behind her.

      Delete
  2. I definitely agree on not caring much about live television anymore, no matter the source -- it's all too sensational for me.

    I've never seen the term "fox ache" before. I might have to borrow that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many years ago, after a gang invasion at the school where I was teaching, I was diagnosed with PTSD. One of the first things the counselor told m,e was to stop watching the news, so I did. I read the LA Times every day, and check out some news online, but it's news, not hype.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reporterette is my favorite.
    https://bunkstrutts.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/it-snot-news.gif

    ReplyDelete
  5. https://www.youtube.com/user/Meridionaljet/about

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...