Riggs said her 10-year-old daughter went on a school field trip recently and came back sun-burned. Riggs said district policy didn’t allow her daughter to bring sunscreen to reapply... Riggs said skin cancer runs in her family and her father recently passed away from it.It's Texas. It's institutional educational systems. It's zero-tolerance policy running amok. It's stupid. It's irrational. But it's real life. God help us.
But, North East Independent School District spokeswoman Aubrey Chancellor said sunscreen is considered a medication, something children need a doctor’s note to have at school.
“Typically, sunscreen is a toxic substance, and we can’t allow toxic things in to be in our schools,” Chancellor said.
“We have to look at the safety of all of our students and we can’t allow children to share sunscreen,” she said. “They could possibly have an allergic reaction (or) they could ingest it. It’s really a dangerous situation.”
08 June 2014
Texas school forbids children taking sunscreen on field trips
After several decades of surfing the web it has become progressively more difficult to be shocked by reports of unusual behavior. But every now and then one encounters an example of human stupidity so egregious, so far below two standard deviations of normal intellectual activity, that one can't help but wonder at the complexities of human psychology. To wit...
Labels: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot