07 March 2013

This video is emblematic of spring


The video shows cows being released from winter confinement to graze outdoors on the Beemster polder for the first time.
Beemster Graskaas is a rare, extra smooth cheese made in April from the first milking of the cows as they leave the barn for the first time after the cold, windy winter. The milk taken during the first weeks of Spring is the creamiest and is used to create a special edition cheese to be released at the Spring Cheese Festival.
Via Reddit.

4 comments:

  1. I was raised on whole milk that came from a cow that was shared between my family and another one. I remember with disdain the flavor of milk in the spring, when the cows ate green grass for the first time. It had a sharp, unpleasant flavor. I wonder what that cheese tastes like, but I'd be surprised if it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very happy cows, though, Scott! Plenty of endorphins in their milk, I should think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know cows could dance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. But....But..... The commercials say that happy cows come from California!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...