28 January 2018

Test yourself on world geography


The test, developed by Ghent University, presents you with outlines of two countries.  Your task is to click the (+) and (-) until the bottom entity is the same proportional size to the upper one as they are in real life.

It's a bit challenging, in part because so many of our mental maps distort high-latitude regions.  My results were so-so:


Apparently the set of maps offered varies, so you may get the same pairs I did.  But feel free to post your results in the Comments.  The test is here.

Via Neatorama.

10 comments:

  1. 70%

    This was a difficult test. I only received 40% on North Korea vs Turkey, overestimating the flat map distortion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got 77% overall, but my score was hurt by severely overestimating the size of Nigeria versus Japan. I only got 3/10 on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 67% (from Olympia WA)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 64. Big blowouts on France - Syria, Cuba - Israel and Germany - New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 59. I was near perfect on some (Italy & N. Zealand) and way off on others (Cuba & France). The good news is I have lots of room to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 81%. I was pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 86. Proud that I got DRC-Greenland 10/10. But I also got some easy ones like Africa-Europe and North America-South America.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...