31 August 2008

Flowers for Algernon ... as a blog


progris riport 1 - martch 5, 1965

Dr. Strauss says I shud rite down what I think and evrey thing that happins to me from now on, I dont know why but he says its importint so they will see if they will use me. I hope they use me. Miss Kinnian says maybe they can make me smart. I want to be smart. My name is Charlie Gordon. I am 37 years old. I have nuthing more to rite now so I will close for today.

Posted by Charlie Gordon 0 comments


A thread in Metafilter yesterday noted that the Flowers for Algernon for has been published online and formatted as a blog - which is of course ideally suited to the diary-like format of the original story.

This is a classic piece of sci-fi literature; it won the Hugo Award as the best short story of 1960. It is perhaps best known as the basis for the movie Charly, for which Cliff Robertson won the Best Actor Academy Award.

Here's the link. I've linked to the last page of the blog so you can read the story from the beginning by clicking on "newer posts" at the left of each page.

1 comment:

  1. This was a fantastic play. Sad, but meaningful. I loved it when I saw it years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...