22 December 2022

"Please pass the hallucinogenic spinach..."

Strange times in Australia this week:
Australians are being urged not to seek out contaminated baby spinach products for a recreational high after more than 130 people who ate a range of fresh food items suffered symptoms including hallucinations and delirium.

Symptoms can be severe and include delirium or confusion, hallucinations, dilated pupils, rapid heartbeat, flushed face, blurred vision, dry mouth and skin, and fever.
Classic symptoms of poisoning by an anticholinergic agent.  
The weed responsible for contaminating baby spinach at a Victorian farm has been identified as thornapple – a type of nightshade.

The scientific name is Datura stramonium. It is also known as jimsonweed.
More details here.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...