18 September 2019

Eric Clapton's version of "How Deep is the Ocean?"

 
I listened today to the 2010 "Clapton" album; mixed in with all the blues pieces was his version of an old song with refreshingly upbeat lyrics:
How much do I love you? I'll tell you no lie -
How deep is the ocean?
How high is the sky?

How many times a day do I think of you?
How many roses are sprinkled with dew?

How far would I travel to be where you are?
How far is the journey from here to a star?

And if I ever lose you how much would I cry?
How deep is the ocean?
How high is the sky?
Irving Berlin wrote the song in 1932.  I found videos of covers by Peggy Lee/Benny Goodman, Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, Etta James, Nat King Cole, and Ray Charles, among others, but I like Clapton's the best.

Reposted from 2011 to replace the original video and delete other links which had undergone linkrot over the years.

7 comments:

  1. The Bill Evans Trio does a nice version of it too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uCL1_YcRwk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that is a touching song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil - for a really moving Clapton song, listen to "Tears in Heaven" after reading the backstory -

    http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2008/12/eric-clapton-tears-in-heaven.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it just cynical me, or did the guy never say he loves her? Answering questions with questions is an old trick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very nice. also, wikipedia says it's a 2010 album. looks intersting. think I'll get it. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right; it was the 2010 version. Text amended. tx.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...