31 December 2014

Copperplate writing

I was reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods this week, and ran across a description of someone's handwriting being like "copperplate script," so I decided to look it up.
Copperplate, or English round hand, is a style of calligraphic writing, using a sharp pointed nib instead of the flat nib used in most calligraphic writing. Its name comes from the fact that the copybooks from which students learned it were printed from etched copper plates... the term "copperplate" is mostly used to refer to any old-fashioned, tidy handwriting...

All copperplate forms (minuscules, majuscules, numbers, and punctuation) are written at a letter slant of 55 degrees from the horizontal.
You learn something every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...