15 October 2021

Punctuation (only)


Miss Cellania posted at Neatorama on online tool that allows one to remove all text letters from a passage, leaving behind only the punctuation marks.  I applied that tool to the longest entry I've written for TYWKIWDBI, with the result seen above.

That particular post involved artificial page breaks (*****) and a lot of citations from the works of Edgar Allan Poe, so I tried the tool again on a two-page letter I wrote earlier this week -


- which obviously included a number of URLs.

I wrestled with the question as to whether these images contain punctuation since the symbols don't separate and define any text, but the etymology of punctuation is from the Latin punctuo ("to mark with points"), so I guess it's o.k.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me a bit of Damion Searls' version of "Moby Dick", entitled "; or The Whale" that includes only what is left out of a popular abridged version. While some of the chapters are substantial, the final one includes only a bunch of punctuation. http://damionsearls.com/melville.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting dollymix - and totally new to me. Thank you.

      You might be interested in this old post -

      https://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2012/04/should-moby-dick-be-hyphenated.html

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...