11 August 2021

Squirrels are eating my house. And rabbits.



I discovered this last summer: paint and wood fiber disappearing from the base of a structural element next to the garage door.  I didn't know whether to blame rodents or weathering processes.  I painted over the area.  This week I pulled into the driveway on return from an errand and saw the malefactor - a common grey squirrel - gnawing at the wood.  

I assumed this was a response to a mineral deficiency in the animal, but a quick Google search suggests that it is more a reflection of rodent dentition, which requires gnawing for proper maintenance.  But that doesn't explain why the rodent would select my house rather than the abundance of natural unpainted wood in our back yard.   Any thoughts or knowledge about this?

Update July 2022: When I returned from an errand today, I saw a different critter gnawing at the wood... a rabbit.  Rabbits may share the same needs regarding dental health that squirrels have, but the fact that the damage has been inflicted only on the white-painted door frame and not on the gray board to the right, plus the observation that the effort seems to be more to strip the paint rather than gnaw into the wood makes me wonder whether the animals are trying to address a mineral deficiency - perhaps a trace mineral like zinc?

2 comments:

  1. It could be worse, chipmunks and mice gave chewed through the tubing in my outside-parked car.... Twice. We've doused the car in peppermint oil, that may help make your house a less attractive target that the woodpile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning,
    We had a similar situation with squirrels gnawing at the corners of our cedar picnic table and benches in the back yard, although there were seemingly plenty of other naturally occurring wooden objects to chew on. I tried a couple of non-toxic things to get them to stop (vinegar, soap), without much luck, although the vinegar did seem to slow them down some. Perhaps we weren't consistent enough in our application? YMMV.
    Perhaps someone else will have a better solution for you. Good luck!
    KC

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...