24 April 2015

You can see why it's called a "bloodwood" tree

"The bloodwood tree (Pterocarpus angolensis) is a deciduous, spreading and slightly flat-crowned tree with a high canopy. It reaches about 15 metres in height and has dark bark. The bloodwood grows in warm areas in the northeast of Africa, extending into Zimbabwe, northern Botswana, Mozambique and Namibia. The red sap is used traditionally as a dye and in some areas mixed with animal fat to make a cosmetic for faces and bodies."
Source, via The Soul is Bone.

(Reposted from 2013 for Arbor Day 2015) 

5 comments:

  1. Am I the only one who read the first line as:

    "The bloodwood tree (Pterocarpus angolensis) is a deciduous, spreading...

    Silly assuming brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What in the world are you talking about?

      Delete
    2. Let me try again...
      "Am I the only one who read the first line as:

      The bloodwood tree (Pterocarpus angolensis) is a DELICIOUS, spreading...

      Silly assuming brain."

      Having presented me with the word 'blood', I automatically read delicious and then completely failed to convey my curiosity if others had also experienced this.

      Same world as yours, just with less sleep. Keep up the good work!

      Delete
    3. No sleep is not good. I once worked a 114-hour week. Log off and get some sleep. :.)

      Delete
  2. In my best Homer Simpson voice: "Mmmmmm....bloodwood."

    I too read it as delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...