17 July 2026

Just for fun: "Good Luck, Have Fun, Don't Die"


I watched this DVD from our library last night and thoroughly enjoyed it (rated it 3.5 on my 0-4 scale, which means "good enough to recommend" but not "worth watching again", which requires a 4.0).

From the trailer it should be evident that the storyline presents over-the-top craziness involving a future dystopic apocalypse - which is oddly enough a pleasant relief from scanning the internet for info re politics and the Gulf war.  I was going to call it a "screwball comedy" but that term I will reserve for Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, Rosalind Russell et al in Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday et al.

The premise here is that the protagonist is in a Groundhog Day loop trying to prevent a worldwide catastrophe triggered by social media and cellphones.  If you can roll with that, you can enjoy the movie.  Sam Rockwell is joined by Juno Temple (Ted Lasso, Fargo fifth season) and the perhaps underappreciated Haley Lu Richardson (superb in Columbus).

10 comments:

  1. I watched this a couple weeks ago and would agree with your rating on it.
    I really only wanted to comment in order to add a movie that would be about the same rating which is Operation Taco Gary's.
    I'm not much good at doing reviews but I would definitely say I had about the same level of enjoyment on both films, somewhat silly science fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to watch this. Big fan of Temple and Rockwell.

    Do screwball comedies even exist anymore? I wonder if the dynamic between a guy and a gal has changed too much. A classic "screwball comedy" is basically two people, one male and one female, bickering for most of a movie and then finding love towards the end. The USP back then was a woman holding her own against a man. Hopefully that's less of a thing now.

    These days what's fodder for a screwball comedy? Employee and employer? Like "The Proposal" from an eternity ago? Hmm. The power imbalance is required. Any Saudi owner/slave screwball comedies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.reddit.com/r/blankies/comments/128x9xt/modern_screwball_comedies/

      Delete
  3. Codex
    Thank you for recommending it. Was looking for something humorous.

    Warm bodies is a fun watch as well.

    More serious. What did you think of Asimovs foundation series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the 10 parts of season 1, rated it 2.5 ("disappointing"). I liked the acting and the cinematography, but I thought the storyline got a little overly complex for me to keep track of the details. Or maybe I took too many gummies....

      Delete
    2. Codex
      Lol. Probably the latter.
      Season 2 is better. Id stick with it. It continues to be beautiful. CGI used the right way.

      You might find it interesting that they used a lot of old school visual effects and miniatures for most of it.

      Delete
    3. Following Cape Fear and Silo right now. Both are excellent.

      Delete
  4. Codex if I know the reveal I n silo. Still worth watching?

    For future watching:
    Spider noir is fun and unique Highly recommend
    Dark matter 2015 interesting initially
    Dark (german) highly acclaimed but too Dark for me
    Resurrection (chinese) haven't watched yet but arthouse scifi

    Do you have a movie recommendation post?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me or Codex? Mine are scattered in the movies category:

    https://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/search/label/movies

    ReplyDelete
  6. Codex: Slight spoiler comment
    P.S. We watched it. Thoroughly enjoyed it as well. Thank you for recommending it.

    Could have used some editing in the middle. Otherwise satirical prequel to the matrix. "Bad prompt"...

    This is precisely what I've been trying to explain to non gamers: the big concern that LLMs share some code with gaming. It's nice to see Hollywood raising concerns about that as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...