26 October 2023

"Columbus" and "After Yang"


I first saw Columbus three or four years ago and gave up on it partway through because it seemed so slow to get to the point.  But this past year I tried again, and was rewarded to discover that it was thoroughly enjoyable and uplifting.  The two young actors are superb in their roles, and the film rates 96% on Rotten Tomatoes.

This video essay addresses the important role of architecture in the film:


If you have agreed with my previous movie recommendations, consider giving this one a try.

Reposted to add the trailer for "After Yang."


After Yang was not on my radar list; I had not seen any reviews of it anywhere, but it was recommended by reader pambamboo in the comments about Columbus. 

The storyline is simple and basic modern sci-fi (and a Sundance Film Festival winner in the sci-fi category).  A biracial couple adopts an infant of Asian descent, and realizing that they will never be able to raise her with a full appreciation of her cultural heritage, they purchase Yang -  a second-hand (refurbished) robot/android/humanoid of Asian phenotype who has been extensively programmed with an immense database of Chinese history, literature, language etc, so that he can be the older brother of the little girl as she grows up.  He eventually malfunctions, and during the repair process it is discovered that he had been implanted with a non-conventional chip that has allowed him to choose moments of his life (lives) to remember.  The movie then ventures into considerations of the meanings of life, humanity, death, memories etc.

The four principal actors in the movie are superb in their roles.  

Like "Columbus," this is a "quiet" movie.  The only "action" sequence is the opening credits scene embedded below.  Both movies are by Kogonada, who was the screenwriter, editor, and director.  These are the only two movies he has created; if he makes any more, I will be first in line to view them.

Here are the opening credits (in which the family is participating in a nationwide live dance competition).


I hope I've convinced somebody to see one or both movies.  I would suggest pairing them up for an intense evening of pleasant viewing; both should be available as DVDs from your local library with probably no waiting list.

5 comments:

  1. I loved this film! Kogonada also directed After Yang - it has that same lovely calmness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've requested After Yang from our library; should get it in a couple days. Thanks for the suggestion - I get many of my best recommendations from readers.

      Delete
  2. You convinced me to watch Columbus. Great film! I have recommended it to others. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOOO glad you liked it! Hope he makes another film soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recommendation on Columbus. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...