20 November 2023

"My mama slaps me harder than that"


Trailer for the television series "Gaslit," coming to Starz in April:
The series is about the Watergate scandal and focuses on several untold stories, including Richard Nixon's subordinates, deranged zealots, and the whistleblowers who would eventually bring the whole enterprise crashing down. The story will center on Martha Mitchell, a celebrity Arkansan socialite and wife to Nixon’s loyal Attorney General, John N. Mitchell. Despite her party affiliation, she is the first person to publicly sound the alarm on Nixon's involvement in Watergate, causing both the presidency and her personal life to unravel. As attorney general, Mitchell is forced to choose between Martha and the president.
Looks interesting.

Reposted after waiting eight months to get the boxed set of DVDs (eight episodes) from our library.  Totally worth the wait.  This was one of the four best movies I've watched all year.  Julia Roberts and Sean Penn are absolutely superb in their roles.  The script is concise to cover a huge range of material.  I learned lots of things I didn't appreciate when the Watergate events were unfolding.

2 comments:

  1. While you (and I) are awaiting the release of Gaslit, may I recommend Rachel Maddow's podcast called Bagman?
    https://www.msnbc.com/bagman

    This podcast is an interesting replay of the end game for Spiro T. Agnew. The tale runs almost exactly concurrently with Gaslit. In a sense, I think that Agnew presages Trump. I remember (lived through) those times, but Bagman brings out many things I never knew, significant things that make for a chilling story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While you (and I) are awaiting the release of Gaslit, may I recommend a palate cleanser in the form of 'Pretty Woman' ... so as to ready yourself for the duplicity of Watergate, et al.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...