09 February 2023

A comparison of primate feet


This comment in response to "losing the grip ability in our feet" is relevant:
"...our feet are actually pretty amazing comparatively to the list. They're hyper specialized for balance, not grip. That balance lets us throw objects harder and faster than any other creature on the planet, which is one of the major skills that contributes (contributed) to our place at the top of the food chain. Also the whole endurance walking/running thing that humans are the best in the world at..."
More at the interestingasfuck subreddit thread.  I fondly remember being able to grasp things on the floor with my big toe until bunions intervened...

6 comments:

  1. "I fondly remember being able to grasp things on the floor with my big toe"

    I can pick things up with my toes, too. As can my father. I can still remember how oddly pleased he was when he discovered that I had inherited this ability! (For reasons I'm not sure, he was similarly delighted to discover that I had inherited from him the ability to wiggle my ears.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that possums, squirrels, and racoons were primates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All those 'feet' look like hands - one of the toes is an opposing thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a child (12 to 13 year old boy) I learned to throw small stones with my feet. a Feat not notable for distance, accuracy or grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm confused; the human foot has the big toe right next to the others instead of being splayed out to the side like the other primates. Seems like a wider base would be more balanced. And who says humans have the best balance? Ever seen other primates walking across ropes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. human walking is controlled falling and is twice as efficient as any other land mammal over long distance, also the ground balance instead of ground grip plan allows us to pivot, rotate and rock on our feet which is far harder for primates on the ground.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...