02 July 2022

I was today years old...

 ... when I learned what "today years old" means.

The phrase came up in this morning's Los Angeles Times crossword puzzle, clued as "Age of Enlightenment?"  I had to work around the clue to solve the puzzle, but even then could not suss out the explanation.  I found the answer at Know Your Meme:
"I Was Today Years Old" is an online expression typically used in the title of a post or discussion thread when introducing an interesting fact or trivia that had been previously unknown to the poster, in a similar vein to the phrase "did you know?" and Today I Learned.

On September 10th, 2015, Twitter user @stacilyncharles tweeted the first known usage of the expression saying, "I was today years old when I learned I had been wearing the wrong size bra my entire life". After June 17th, 2018, the phrase went viral after Twitter user @gabrielalvper tweeted an image of a Staples saying, "I was today years old when I found out the 'L' in 'Staples' in really a half open staple". The tweet garnered over 70 likes in two years.
But even with that information in hand, I still couldn't parse how the phrase gained that meaning, until I found the following "explain like I'm five" answer in a Quora thread:
Let’s say I tell you something you knew already. For example, “Did you know that giraffes have blue tongues?” You might respond “I was 12 when I learned that.”

Now, let’s say I tell you something that you don’t know, that genuinely surprises you. “Did you know that human being share 98% of their DNA with chimpanzees?” A humorous way of indicating that you’ve just learned that is to say, “I was today years old when I learned that.”
Not sure why this escaped me for so many years - presumably because its primary domain is social media, which I am not "on."  You learn something every day.

7 comments:

  1. “The tweet garnered over 70 likes in two years”

    I am not on social media (unless blogs like this count), but 70 likes in two years does seem like much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^^does not seem like much…

      Delete
  2. In case this has also eluded you, "ELI5" is a common acronym of "explain it like I'm five years old."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was "today years old" the first time I ever heard of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't recall when I first saw the phrase, but I thought it was charmingly clever at the time. But in each instance, I feel older, because I've never seen it with something I didn't already know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That phrase just does not sit well on the tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Transcription error on my part. Fixed (x2). Tx, Kolo.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...