02 June 2018

Behold the evolution of the cradle


I spotted the above device in a local Target store last month and had to go online to figure out exactly what it was:
The 4moms® mamaRoo® infant seat bounces up and down and sways from side to side, just like parents do when comforting their baby. Select from five unique motions (car ride, kangaroo, wave, tree swing and rocka-a-bye) and five different speeds. Choose from four built-in sounds or connect it to any MP3 player.

The adjustable seat reclines to any position for maximum comfort so baby can lie flat to rest or sit up for play. The mamaRoo is Bluetooth enabled so you can control the motion, sound, speed and volume from your compatible smart device!

Keep baby’s attention with the toy mobile which now includes interactive, reversible toy balls (mirror, rattle and crinkle toys).
I'll defer passing judgment;  I'm sure there's nothing that can go wrong and that it's secure from hacking.

6 comments:

  1. It's more of an evolution of the baby swing and it's been around or a few years.

    I have known one baby who loved it and another baby who just screamed no matter what setting it was on.

    Just like any other piece of overly expensive baby gear - it totally depends on the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have paid... well, a lot... for this when my kid was a week old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our friends recently bought one of these after we told them how great our little swing was for comforting our baby. As fancy as it is, the baby was unimpressed. It looks like it should work, but sadly like anything else baby-related, it really depends on the kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? Can't whisper endearments, sing, fondle baby's cheek or rub her back? Shabby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My company makes simulators for different military applications. Recently on a smoke break, I was talking to one of our clients about how we used to get our kids to sleep by driving them around in the car for a short time. He suggested we build a simulator to do it at home. So I started thinking about what elements are needed; sound, movement, whatever. I was thinking that the research could be interesting. My kids are grown up now but my grand kids are the right age, worse case, if it doesn't work, and someone else has to get them to bed. Perfect!
    I had already recorded sound, video and accelerometer readings in the car for the cases where the kids went to sleep almost immediately and where they were still awake after 20-30 minutes. It is not enough yet to make firm conclusions. More research is needed.

    But now this monstrosity. This is just a a rocking cradle with a motor.

    Actually, this is not such a bad idea. I may try it out without the motor; just a hand on a rocking cradle. I do get a kick out of that. What was I even thinking!!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I'll defer passing judgement" ... hahaha, very sly ;-) I bought something similar a year ago, albeit much less advanced (it just rocks and has a few different speeds, and has a little mobile attachment) and it helped baby sleep past 4am. So if you wanna judge, go right ahead, but this momma got an extra hour of sleep, praise the Lord and the mamaRoo.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...