"A passenger was removed from a Breeze Airways flight that traveled from New York to Florida after allegedly taking snacks from the beverage cart without paying, airline officials said...
Breeze sells a variety of snacks on board, including $5 options such as gummies, potato chips and popcorn, as well as $10 premium items including ramen noodles and cheese trays.
Oddly, no one considers charging $5 for a small bag of potato chips theft.
ReplyDeleteThe menu
ReplyDeletehttps://www.flybreeze.com/onboard-experience/onboard-menu
The reason they can do this is because of the business traveler. I listened to an interview with an airline stocks analyst on Bloomberg. Delta's passenger profits come in large part from businessmen traveling on corporate funds.
DeleteDidn't those snacks used to be free? It's been awhile since I've flown.
ReplyDeleteFree in the 1960s, when as a student I used to ask stewardesses for extra packets.
DeleteCodex
DeleteThey are still free depending on length of flight and company.
Codex
ReplyDeleteIt's a little unclear.
Jet blue offers self serve (bad idea imo). Possible that the guy didnt kniw he couldnt. Up to crew to explain it before. This is a discount carrier. If he's not a frequent flyer he might not have known. Pay the five peanuts in a bag or ask crew beforehand.
Bad publicity for a new company.
I have flown Breeze (Pittsburgh to Portland, ME). They tell you about the snack policy in the pre-flight spiel. Also, there is a menu, with prices, in the seat pocket. Ignorance is not an excuse.
DeleteAlso, Breeze and most other airlines allow you to bring your own food/snacks on a flight, including drinks (no alcohol, that is a violation of federal law). I know Southwest, United, and Delta have that policy
DeleteCodex@anon and br
DeleteI was curious: all flights above 350 miles have to provide a free snack.
I always bring my own primarily because I want a healthy option like an apple.only problem is bottled water which I then have to buy for an exorbitant price after security.
You can bring an empty water bottle and fill it once you are past security.
DeleteCodex
ReplyDeleteHad to share a personal experience: had to fly long haul with air canada. Pricier than other carriers.
In flight they charged me for head phones. (Bad quality) On the way back they didn't. turns out they werent supposed to as it was a non discounted long haul.