12 July 2026

More gleanings from Facebook

4 comments:

  1. I have often noticed that urban designs that look great from the air do not have the same intuitive grace on the ground.

    But La Plata, wow! It seems that just a good look at a map and you could at least navigate the city fairly well (even if not all the side streets and the such).

    I have seen some plats that have a sort of spiral road that leads into the center. That can make some sense, I suppose, but only if there is no direct way in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Notice that those Lone Mountain blocks are an utterly impenetrable block, except for one west-east road. And there are virtually no connections inside it either. The side-walks are barely that. Narrow, obstructed and fully exposed to the sun. And no public spaces for social interactions whatsoever. You can not design a more asocial space full of people than this.

    https://maps.app.goo.gl/EdiVK5bEpEpD8xj5A

    What a hellscape.

    Part of this is true for Suloszowa as well, although the people there at least have a decent view.

    https://maps.app.goo.gl/jeciVdA5B8x1JDKt9

    How different from La Plata. That looks much better. Decent side-walks, many trees providing shade.

    https://maps.app.goo.gl/4xWaJShWYSwDGjcN7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the street-level view of Suloszowa, which is way more interesting than it appears from the aerial image. BTW, do you know of an easy shortcut to make a "continuous" street view as seen by the driver from point A to point B without having to make 152 single clicks?

      Delete
    2. No, I don't. But let me know if you find out.

      I often do 152 single clicks and hate it when Google drops me down a floor on an overpass.....

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...