19 May 2023

Excerpts from Mahler's Symphony No. 2 in C Minor


I don't believe I've ever posted any symphonic music by Mahler on the blog before.  It's time to correct that.  His "Resurrection Symphony" came to my attention during my collegiate years in the 1960s, and I was so smitten by the music that when my aunt and uncle got married, my gift to them was a boxed set of LPs of this symphony.  It is still among my all-time favorites.

Embedded at the top is the Allegro movement that opens this symphony, and here below is the end of the fifth movement that brings the piece to its triumphant close.


The nine intervening parts are also available online; just follow the YouTube link. Or just start the part 1 and let it autoplay through the subsequent parts.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant stuff; thank you! (BTW Otto Klemperer is the father of Werner Klemperer, who played Col. Klink on the Hogan's Heroes series.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that he's famous for something :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...