08 October 2020

What characteristic do Greta Thunberg and Margaret Thatcher share?

Attitude.  Here's a relevant quote from Thatcher:
"In my work, you get used to criticisms. Of course you do, because there are a lot of people trying to get you down, but I always cheer up immensely if one is particularly wounding because I think well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left. That is why my father always taught me: never worry about anyone who attacks you personally; it means their arguments carry no weight and they know it."

6 comments:

  1. Characteristic they don't share: Thatcher was about doing the best for those most well off; Thunberg is about literally saving the world for all that inhabit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. Beauty, they say, is only skin-deep, but rottenness goes right to the core. Having said that, I think Greta's kinda cute.

      Delete
  2. Not so sure that trying to find common characteristics with one of history's monsters is such a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's precisely why I brought Thatcher into it. The panel could have stood on its own, but I wanted to show that two people one would expect to have little or nothing in common actually do share an attitude.

      Delete
    2. That's really clever, thank you! I've been working to not divide the world into two factions by reminding myself that people are wonderfully complex.

      Delete
  3. This is a precise explanation of the 'ad hominem' logical fallacy. If you must resort to attacking the person, it means that you cannot attack their argument itself, which means you've already lost.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...