31 May 2024

Browser glitch


After my hike yesterday, I went to Wisconsin Butterflies to report my findings and encountered the glitch shown above.  I knew the problem wasn't at the website and thought it might be the browser, so I switched from Chrome to Firefox and...


So I sent a quick note to the site's webmaster, wondering if his site wasn't perhaps optimized for Chrome.  He did some checking and suggested that I go to my Chrome settings and check my font size in the Appearance options.  Sure enough, I was running Chrome with the font size on "Large" rather than "Medium (recommended)", and a switch back to Medium font size solved the problem.

I thought I'd post this in case there are any readers out there who have increased their browser font size and might be encountering similar glitches.

5 comments:

  1. Had you previously changed your Chrome browser font size to 'large'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have because it wouldn't be default. Some of the science papers I examine are in very small fonts, so I probably changed for that reason and liked the result and left it that way and didn't remember doing so and didn't think about it until running into this situation.

      Delete
    2. BTW, after filling out the online form I did switch back to "large" fonts because it's a bit easier for my old eyes for general websurfing.

      Delete
    3. You may also try the 'Zoom' setting to embigify web pages? Firefox has a 'Toggle reader view (F9)' (located on the R side of the address bar) that shows a text version of a web page (also a great way to see / read a web page w/out all that ads).

      Delete
  2. Zoom settings in the browser or monitor settings in the OS are other options for increasing readability. Unfortunately they will likely set off their own cascade of complications.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...