02 December 2021

A motley crew

A neighbor dropped off this carton of locally-sourced eggs for us this morning.  They provide a nice example of the proper use of the adjective "motley."  They also have the advantage of being unwashed - which gives them an extended unrefrigerated shelf life (because washing removes a protective film on eggs, potentially facilitating the entry of oxygen or bacteria).  They were also quite tasty, as judged by the first three. 

The pandemic-induced shutdown of restaurant dining has been stressful for huge numbers of farmers worldwide.   I would encourage all readers of TYWKIWDBI to support your local farmers by purchasing produce directly from them - at the farm when possible, or for those embedded deep in urban settings, by visiting local farmers' markets.  A well-run farmers' market will have totally fresh sweet corn, tomatoes, salad fixings, veggies, eggs, honey, soaps and craft items and such.

I probably should do a blog post with photos from our local one.  (done)

Reposted from 2020 to share a recent image of impressive variation in the color of chicken eggs:


I agree with the comment at the via that the image is probably oversaturated, but it's still an awesome array of colors.

11 comments:

  1. Yes, and if you have the desire to support local citizens, consider buying a "haircut" by venmo-ing your hairdresser/barber the cost of your regular hairstyle, while letting it grow out like the rest of us. Or by sending your favorite bartender $20 and then having a drink in their honor at home. Or maybe send the food pantry some support. It never hurts to watch out for each other locally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would, but once we found a worm in a local egg. No joke. I have pictures. I didn't eat eggs for a year (other than ones blended into recipes). I can email you pictures if you would like. I'll buy anything but cage-free eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hillary, I'd like to see that photo. In six years of raising chickens I've never, ever seen a wom in an egg, I'm not sure it's even biologically possible unless the egg is cracked.

      Delete
    2. dragonmamma, I found this:
      https://www.dummies.com/home-garden/hobby-farming/raising-chickens/parasitic-worms-in-chickens/

      Apparently roundworms can enter the hen's oviducts.

      Delete
  3. I'll note that a lot of farmers at our local farmer's market have gone online during the shut down, but maintained that presence now that the restrictions are easing. It's great to select and pay online so that all you have to do is walk up, state your name and get your bag full of fresh goodness. Great option for those who prefer not to be in crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got a farm subscription. Paid for the full year, and every week they bag up 7-8 items that are ripe, which we pick up at a local cafe. You can swap items ahead of time online if they have enough alternatives. It's been fun and adventurous. I've eaten stuff I've never had before, like chard, fennel, and kohlrabi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, please do a blog on your local farmer's market. Those markets are always interesting and seasonal and different from location to location. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's a link to pictures of a Farmer's market near where I grew up, in West Texas. https://www.facebook.com/groups/kimblemuseum/?multi_permalinks=2661880037360127%2C2661879817360149&notif_id=1596813738024499&notif_t=group_activity

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the past several months, I've swapped eggs from my 18 chickens for vegetable starts, beer, books, face masks and a baker's rack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a friend that raises chickens with the specific aim to get eggs that can make an Easter basket without dying them. I've seen the results she's getting and, while that picture's color might be slightly boosted, it is impressive the color range that's possible and it could be natural.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...