23 December 2021

For those who love quizzes...

The Royal Statistical Society has just posted their fiendishly difficult annual Christmas quiz.

Sample question:

"Identify the eight items below, each of which contains a deliberate error. What special name connects them, and which words appearing in #2/#7/#8 are often regarded as the origin of the name (loosely speaking, in the case of #7)?

Finally, continuing the theme of #2, which four of the individuals (taken in order) reveal another much-loved ground-dwelling creature with a distinctive morning cry?"


#5 is pretty easy (the error is that H4 should be R5).  I'm still working on the others.

Feel free to offer answers in the Comments.

Addendum:  #7 is by the another Evelyn (the A3 should be B5).  This might open up the floodgates for the other phrases.  I'll let someone else do them while I move on to a different puzzle.

5 comments:

  1. #5 is "I disapprove of what you say but I will defend to the death your (right) to say it." Attributed to Voltaire, but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #7 is "Nobody can live in the past or the future without (being) something of a nut." Also by Evelyn Beatrice Hall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mistake; wrong Evelyn. Looks like all the quotes are from Evelyns.

      Delete
  3. #2 is 'A little bird told me that your love me, and I believe that you do', from a song sung by Evelyn Knight. (I2 to A3)
    #3 is 'Art is eternal, but life is short', by Evelyn de Morgan.

    The name Evelyn derives from avis ('bird' in #2). Seems the title can be read as 'Eyelyn Mixed'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In #6 use what3words to find a location. Look at the answer to that, the titlle, and the DR SEUSS gimme and you will see they draw from a very limited number of letters. The diagram for #6 is directly connected to that set of letters (pun intended).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...