30 December 2021

I don't know whether I'll be impeached or deported

 The first threatening message was left on my phone last week:
"... leave your work aside so that we can discuss regarding the seized packages and take necessary actions on the case initiated in your name.  If we don't hear from your end, then we will be forced to initiate impeachment processes.  Press 1 to get connected to an officer."
Several days later a different variation was recorded by my phone:
"... leave your work aside so that we can discuss regarding the seized packages and take necessary actions on the case initiated in your name.  If we don't hear from your end, then we will be forced to take litigation action against you.  Please press 1 to talk to an immigration officer."
Our home phone does have a robocall blocker installed, but these calls spoof local origins, including once the university medical center.  Yes, I understand what this is, but it's worse than Rachel From Card Services.  I don't know what ensues with a callback, but the threat seems to verge on extortion.  

And I do understand that these calls are originated by someone in Bangladesh or Turkmenistan or Vladivostok, but I don't believe there's "nothing that can be done about them."  In a society that can routinely sequence the entire human genome, there has to be a way to stop this endless bullshit, because some vulnerable people are being financially hurt by these assholes.

9 comments:

  1. I agree! There should be something that could be done! I don't know what. I get vaguely threatening emails, too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phone companies could stop this but they won't because it will require them to spend money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to get to the human on the other end. I pretend that I'm some hapless victim, string them along for a minute or two to think they've succeeded, then quickly switch tack to telling them to kill themselves. Go for the psychological attack. I know they say you don't know people's circumstances, but they are targeting the vulnerable who are often already marginalized or worse of for their vulnerability. F*&% 'em

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something should be done. I have an elderly aunt that's lost a lot of money because she's turning a bit naive in her old age ...and doesn't want to admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These calls are (nearly) 100% illegal. The number of good uses of these technologies are vanishingly small and could be dealt with as specially handled exceptions to a blanket ban.
    The phone companies won't do it because the Scammers provide substantial income for them.
    This is no different than the early years when Ma Bell told law enforcement that call tracing was difficult/impossible because they didn't want to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first thing to do is put your number on the Do Not Call list, but then also report each violation here: https://www.donotcall.gov/report.html It's the only thing I have heard that gives authorities what they need to really fight the people pulling these stunts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not the spoofing, it's the payment. Payment is made into bank accounts and then switched out to other accounts within milliseconds, and then switched again. The banks ought to be able to reverse these payments leaving the final bank - the one that is providing account services to the fraudsters - holding the baby. I know it's not as simple as I made it sound but I cannot see any reason why it cannot be done, in principle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are thieves. They steal my time and attention. When I have to speak with a human, I remind them that they are are thieves and ask "is this the career your mother wanted for you?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course these calls can be prevented. They don't exist in other countries. It's just that in the US carriers are allowed to make boatloads of money of these guys so they have no incentive to diminish the calls. Furthermore, private and financial information is freely available for about everyone, so it's not that hard to scam someone.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...