29 June 2015

Three years without shampoo

"...you do the following instead of using shampoo: put baking soda in your hair, rinse it out, put apple-cider vinegar in your hair, rinse it out. Repeat once every 5–7 days, washing with just water in the meantime...

After about three years without shampoo, my hair is noticeably softer and fluffier than it used to be. I never use any product—I just blow-dry it with a finger diffuser and it stays in beautiful perfect waves all day...

Take a bottle and fill it with half baking soda, half water. Then take another bottle and fill it with half apple-cider vinegar, half water. Keep the bottles in your shower. This seems to be the optimal level of dilution—not too basic, not too acidic...

...my hair doesn’t smell like vinegar. It doesn’t smell like pomegranate rainwater or whatever, either. It just smells like nice, neutral, clean hair. People are always surprised, but seriously, diluted apple-cider vinegar is way less gross than your body. Shampoo, on the other hand, just makes you grosser. Quit it. I dare you.
More at The Hairpin.

4 comments:

  1. I quit using shampoo years ago, but I do use my own homemade soap and an acid rinse (usually unpasteurised apple cider vinegar) and my hair loss ceased immediately, and my hair is much stronger and less breakable

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) i like how your next post is about the kid with the long hair. sort of make you wonder if he used this shampoo? :-)

    I-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it about baking soda that makes it the magic ingredient of each and every (presumably BS) household recipe, I wonder. It seems like whether you deal with plant lice, bad breath, stains or constipation, baking soda to the rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did this when I had longer hair and can back up the claims here. I had a two week acclimation kind of thing where my hair was greasy, supposedly takes a bit for your scalp to decide how much oil it is meant to produce. Not sure I buy that or if I got better at washing. Cheap shampoo uses wax and silicone to make things shiny, this seems like a fair alternative.

    I was getting very frequent compliments on my hair from strangers.


    I was also surfing almost daily, so sunlight and seawater and just generally being in fanf'ingtastic shape probably didn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...