05 November 2008

How pigeon fanciers kill hawks

The November '08 issue of Harper's has an article about pigeon fanciers who kill migratory hawks. The most disturbing aspect is the sadism involved when they torture the birds to death.

Hall: The ones I killed, I just put some bleach and ammonia in a spray bottle, shook it up, sprayed 'em in the eyes and mouth. They went into convulsions.
Newcomer: How long did it take? Did they make a lot of noise? Flap around or anything? They didn't do that screaming they do when you shoot 'em? Because that's the other thing. I think my neighbor heard that too.
Hall: Yeah, somebody else told me that if you mix the bleach with the ammonia, it makes a gas. The fumes damn near knocked me out. I was spraying it, and I had it on that wide spray. That's some strong shit. You be hearing that bottle fizzing. I just started spraying his ass through the wire cage. He started blinking his eyes, and his mouth kept opening, and he was flapping — he was suffocating, you know. I did two or three like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...