23 September 2026

U.S. map of named highways in 1927


Apologies to the owner of this image, because I saved it in 2007 without noting the source.  This is obviously not a map of all highways, but rather of the ones that by the 1920s had received "names."

Of personal interest to me is #33 on the map - the Yellowstone Trail - which begins in Boston and passes through Minneapolis on its way to Yellowstone Park in Colorado, then continues on to the west coast.  My family home during my high school years was on the Yellowstone Trail, but I had no idea at the time of the significance of the name.  I'm planning a detailed post in the future, and just wanted to leave this here for now.

Addendum: possible source for the map here.

4 comments:

  1. I remember seeing signs of different shapes and colors along roads that indicated which road that was. They were also so small, compared to regular road signs, and so randomly spaced, and oddly placed, that I never figured out how any one used them to follow a named road. Once I started driving, I just memorized routes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd strayed from you blog some time ago, not sure why, possibly a change in devices and loss of a personal blogroll. This post is an example of why I love your observations and perspectives so much, and I'm glad I rediscovered you. THANK YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it here via Google reverse image search
    https://www.oldworldauctions.com/catalog/lot/108/681

    there's publication info and an option to download a high-res version

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Art. I wouldn't have saved material from a commercial source, but I've added the link you found to the text for those interested.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...