Trump stated that the new uniforms were inspired by "Starship Troopers" uniforms. But the film, based on the classic Robert A. Heinlein novel, can be viewed as a warning against fascism, militarism, and nationalism. And the parallel to these uniforms is striking:
Images via Comic Sands.


I think this one is more appropriate:
ReplyDeletehttps://imgur.com/gallery/testosterone-on-show-U0mLNk9
I fail to see a similarity besides being a uniform and in a dark color...
ReplyDeleteYou fail to see the similarity with Star Wars Empire uniforms which were based on Nazi uniforms? Rose, ask yourself, "Am I a baddy?"
DeleteNow, c'mon! As if this is proof that Trump is up to some sort of fascist plot. You will note that the British military has black uniforms also (see what Prince William and Harry wear). WAIT!!! Maybe Trump is actually a SOCIALIST, but it's only now being revealed with the Space Force uniform!
ReplyDeleteAnd here I was thinking the right was the one with too many conspiracy theories!
TRUE STORY: One of my university mentors was one of a top Marxist scholar (Truitt). He would teach in Russia every year. And thought I was even then a conservative, we just hit it off real good.
I still remember when he did a left wing/right wing thing, where it went from Reactionary to Radical. But then, instead of it leaving it as a linear thing...he began to turn in the ends, forming a 2D circle. He said that at some point, both sides became increasingly distrustful of the government, leaning toward conspiracy theories, etc. That was in the early 80s. He was right then...and prescient about now, methinks.
Codex
ReplyDeleteVerhoeven grew up in the Netherlands under nazi occupation. Every choice including the uniforms in Starship Troopers was deliberate in his brilliant satire, which most people didn't get.
@Stan "Would you like to know more?" ;)
@codex: no
DeleteCodex
DeleteLol
Codex
ReplyDeleteVerhoeven made a public comment on it couple of days ago.