03 September 2026

Tater tot hotdish - quintessential Minnesota cuisine



8 comments:

  1. Nine ingredients?

    TaterTots
    Soup
    Ground Beef
    Onions
    Green Beans
    That's 5? Or did I miss something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife will make me something very similar (and we do call it Tater Tot Casserole). The only real difference is that we don't go out of the way to arrange the tater tots; we simply try to ensure they are all a single tater tot high. But we add Campbell's Cheddar Soup(?) over the top...and now you have something to talk about.

    But man, oh, man, does that dish you posted look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Campbell's Cheddar Soup? I feel like I need this in my life but it hasn't made it over the pond.

      Delete
    2. Back in the late 60's/early 70's it was called Cheddar Cheese Soup/Sauce and was so thick you had to dig it out of the can and add water or milk to dilute it to your desired consistency. My mother had a number of recipes for quick and easy meals using it. I bought a can recently and it poured out of the can like water and was already too thin to be of any use. It also had very little flavor in my opinion.
      Recently a Campbell's exec took offense about their products being referred to as low quality food for poor people. Obviously he hadn't tried their products recently. Other products in their line have similarly been diluted. We no longer buy Campbell's products, they're just not a good value anymore..

      Delete
  3. I read seven, if you use all the ones mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd think there would be a more lyrical name? 'Tater tot hot' is good, but the 'dish' part - just don't make it. Tater tot hot pot? Is 'hotdish' general used for something like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could look it up with fewer clicks than it takes to ask the question:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotdish

      Delete
  5. Here (Southcoastal New England), the 'old timers' dish is string beans poured over with cream of mushroom soup and covered with crispy onion sticks or potato stix. I don't like string beans, so I pass on that, always to the surprise of the servers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...